Blogging as Reflection.
Using an ongoing reflective tool like a blog helps to make a PGP a living document. it makes it an evidence based process, not a file that is referred to when reminded to do so. All of my blog entries are tied to the Principal Quality Standards.
GOAL A: Instructional Leadership: “Good principals should be a positive, vibrant and visible presence in the school. Modeling behaviors of learning, focusing on learning objectives, and leading by example are crucial to the success of an instructional principal.”
- To increase my understanding of Balanced Literacy and Guided Reading.
- Attend School PD sessions about Balanced Literacy
- Personal reading on Balanced Literacy
- Sit in on Guided Reading/Language Arts classes to observe the process
- Converstations with Vice Principal
- Blog posts
- personal reflection
- Amount spent in classrooms
GOAL B: Leading a Learning Community: As discussed in Alberta Education’s document on the Principal Quality Standard, a principal that leads a learning community “nurtures and sustains a school culture that values and supports learning.”
- Improve my own skills in collecting, analyzing and using data
- Assist the staff in the job of being teacher researchers
- Ensure PLC time is allotted on our monthly PD Days
- Encourage PLC groups to meet at other times
- Train staff in the necessity of data collection to drive the decision making process.
- Use Data to guide PLC decisions and to encourage teams to take risks
- Allot time for teachers to observe in other classrooms. Encourage teachers to take these opportunities
- Admin PLC group based on Evidence informed practice in Balanced Literacy
- PLC Feedback forms – are they thoughtfully completed?
- Have teachers taken risks? This will be evidenced by feedback on PLC forms and in PGP discussions
- Have I met with PLC teams to discuss learnings and risks that have taken place?
- Are teachers becoming data gatherers? Are teachers observing in other classrooms?
- School Based PD
- School Based PLCs
- Classroom Visits
- ERLC PD
- Roxanne Filipchuk